Edinburgh

Thornton Junction

Opened: 17th September, 1847.
Closed: 6th October, 1969.

Thornton Junction Station was located 10½ miles from Burntisland, 24 miles from Hilton Junction and 25½ miles from Tayport. From here, a branch of the Edinburgh & Northern Railway ran west to Dunfermline Upper Station, the Leven Railway ran north-east to Leven, and the Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway ran south-east towards Buckhaven. A short distance to the south of the station, a direct connection between the Wemyss & Buckhaven Railway and the Dunfermline Branch passed beneath the main line. The platforms and buildings suffered from subsidence due to undermining, which necessitated rebuilding of the station circa 1920. Despite having been a busy and important junction with frequent train services until its closure, Thornton Junction was closed in October 1969, and nothing now remains to indicate that a station ever existed there. It has been replaced by the inappropriately-named and rather less impressive Glenrothes with Thornton Station which opened on 11th May, 1992, around ¾-of-a-mile to the west on the Dunfermline Branch.


Ex-North British Railway Class K (LNER Class D34) 4-4-0 No. 62467 Glenfinnan stands at the Methil Branch platform at Thornton Junction Station with the 2.40pm Thornton Junction to Methil train on 7th January, 1955. [W.A.C. Smith]

Collapse )